Add warmth to your table and protect it at the same time with this set of four round cork placemats. Why not match these up with our cork coasters.
- Set of 4 x placemats
- 23cm dia.
- Wipe clean.
- Made from FSC Harvested cork.
- HOW IT HELPS+
- Cork is one of the most eco friendly, sustainable materials in the world. The outer bark of a cork oak tree (from which all cork is made) can be stripped every 8-14 years without harming the tree at all. Since cork harvesting involves no logging, a diverse ecosystem is allowed to organically develop helping native flora to thrive. In buying and using cork products you are contributing to preserving a natural, renewable material source that supports important ecological environments.
- WHO MADE THIS+
- This cork range has been created by ashortwalk - an award winning product design company who pride themselves on designing and manufacturing unique and functional eco products.
ashortwalk was started in Truro, Cornwall in 2003 by Dan - a former product designer at Dyson. He moved to Cornwall in order to realise a long-held desire: to set up a business, and live 'ashortwalk' from the sea.
They state “Nothing is truly recycled - until it's reused. At ashortwalk, we don't see waste just as waste. We see new raw materials with which we design, develop and produce products. Ranging from redundant plant pots and coffee cups to seemingly useless things like car bumpers, plastic bottles and yoghurt pots; we turn them into fantastic and durable products for you to use”.
- WHAT IT'S MADE FROM + WHY+
- Because it is harvested only from the bark of the cork oak tree (which means the tree keeps on living and helping to clean our air) cork is one of the most highly renewable and eco-friendly resources on the planet. Not one single tree is cut down - instead, the bark is peeled away and then the cork is carefully extracted by very highly skilled harvesters.The bark is peeled from the trees every 8 years, but fear not, once harvested the hardy tree will grow a replacement layer, which can then be harvested in another 8 years time.
Cork is a classic, functional and natural material, and best of all it’s truly sustainable. It has unmatched environmental credentials - it’s light, biodegradable, antibacterial and is an incredible insulator, making it ideal for placemats and tableware. Furthermore, it also has great aesthetic qualities - it’s lovely to feel and hold, and most importantly it can be composted at the end of it’s life.